Thursday, June 26, 2014

Kid's chores and allowance

Ha.  I just found this old post in my draft folder.  How appropriate because today, I am declaring war against clutter and kids not taking care of their things.  I have not raised children who would make it on their own as of yet.  Ellie is now 12 and Will is 10, and I am still constantly picking up their things.  I naively assume that if I tell them to not leave plates on the couch, they won't do that any more.  How silly I am.  So today it begins.  They got a warning last night after I discovered the mailbox key was not put back in its place and is now missing.  We will be going through their rooms and the house all day today.  If something doesn't have a place, then we need to get rid of it because it means we have too much stuff.  They are to use the chore lists on their iAllowance apps (which is a great app by the way) every morning and evening.  Twice a day I will conduct a full house check-INCLUDING THEIR ROOMS!  If their stuff is put away, and the chore list is complete, then they earn an extra quarter.  If not, they owe me a quarter.
Ugh, I have to be consistent with this.  We are going to do it for one month.  Hopefully by then, new habits will be formed.  We did do my first idea for a while, but then it fell to the wayside.  This is my fault.  I need to be diligent and follow through.  I need to be strong and stop enabling my children's negative behavior. 
Dear Father,
Please grant me a clear head, and a soft heart.  May we get through this day efficiently and lovingly.  Please give us eyes to see what we truly love and want to keep and what is just adding clutter to our lives.  We love You and want to live for You.  Please give me the wisdom and strength I need to raise responsible adults and not children.
In Jesus Name I Pray--Amen




ORIGINAL POST:


I recently read a quote that made perfect sense to me..."A parent's job is to raise adults, not children." It is a constant struggle, because they are kids. :) My husband and I want to teach our children how to manage money and how to take care of themselves when they leave the house. With my new focus on efficiency, I have put together a plan which implements allowance, chores and addressing negative behaviors.
Monday is a big chore day for me, so I was inspired to complete this list of chores for the kids. Once I think of something, I like to go for it immeadiately! :)

ALLOWANCE
Each DAILY task = 10 cents
Each WEEKLY task = 25 cents
ELLIE (10) AND WILL (7)
Daily
1. feed Kady (E) collect eggs (W)
2. feed Frank (E)
3. sort laundry
4. empty garbage cans
5. walk Kady and get the mail
6. unpack backpack/lunch box
7. complete homework
8. help make lunches
9. put laundry away
10. empty dishwasher
11. pick up stairs
12. help cook dinner
13. set the table
14. load dishwasher
15. sweep kitchen
16. Make dad’s coffee
17. Make dad’s lunch
18. nightly pick up
19. Read 20-30 minutes
WEEKLY
1. clean Frank’s cage (E) vacuum stairs (W)
2. clean chicken coop (E) clean windows (W)
3. pick up dog poop (E) pull weeds (W)
4. vacuum room (both)

Here's how we're going to work it:
Every two weeks, the kids get an empty mason jar. We have one jar filled with small marbles and 16 big marbles. Each time a daily task is completed, they get to add one small marble to their jar. When a weekly task is completed, they get to add a big marble to their jar. Here's the catch: if I have to pick up after them, or if they perform the negative behavior we are trying to eradicate, then I get to take a small marble from their jars and put it back into the big jar. On payday, we'll count up the marbles in the jars and convert them to money.
The goal is for the kids to do all 4 weekly chores and 40 daily chores. This equals 5.00. I suppose they'll have to do more to make up for the marbles they are bound to lose. We'll see how it works!

No comments:

Post a Comment