Monday, March 21, 2011

100% Whole Wheat Sandwich Bread in Five Minutes


Here is a recipe worth trying out. It comes from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day. There is an entire website dedicated to making bread in 5 minutes a day: www.artisanbreadinfive.com. It is a fabulous concept! The website and books are worth checking out. I found the Artisan Bread book at my library. Since this first book, the authors (one being a professional baker) have published also a book titled Healthy Bread in Five Minutes a Day with recipes using more whole wheat.
I have had a hard time getting this bread to rise, but it could be due to my being at 5,000 feet above sea level. So, I decided to post this recipe anyway, for those of you who are at lower elevations. When I figure out the secret for my altitude, I'll post it again.
It is definitely worth a try! Easy and yummy.

A few notes:
I have made this with milk and also with all water.
Yeast is MUCH cheaper when bought in the large container vs. packages.
I use grapeseed oil, which I buy in bulk from Azure Standard.

Ingredients
1 1/2 c lukewarm water
1 1/2 c lukewarm milk
1 1/2 TBSP granulated yeast (1 1/2 packets)
1 TBSP sea salt + 1 tsp sea salt
1/2 c honey
5 TBSP neutral flavored oil, plus more for greasing the pan
6 2/3 c whole wheat flour (freshly ground if possible, and NOT whole wheat pastry flour or "graham" flour) I like to use my sprouted flour.

Directions
1. Mix yeast, salt, honey and oil with milk and water.
2. Mix in dry ingredients WITHOUT kneading. This is easily done by hand with a spoon.
3. Cover - not airtight - and allow to rest at room temperature until the dough rises and collapses (or flattens on top); approx. 2-3 hours.
4. The dough can be used immediately after the initial rise, or I like to throw it into a container (or two) with holes punched in the lids and put into the 'fridge for a while. Usually until the next day. (This dough is pretty sticky.) The dough can be kept in the 'fridge for up to 5 days.

On Baking Day
1. lightly grease your loaf pan. Using wet hands, scoop out a 1 1/2 - 2 lb handful of dough.
2. Quickly shape the dough to fit your pan and drop it right in. It should be filled a little more that half-way.
3. Allow the dough to rest for 1 hour and 40 minutes.
4. Preheat the oven at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes for a 1 1/2 lb loaf OR
preheat to 375 for a 2 lb loaf.
5. Bake 1 1/2 lb loaf for 50 minutes and 2 lb loaf for 60 minutes.
6. Remove from the pan and let it cool completely before slicing.

This recipe yields 2 loaves if you use 1.5 lbs of dough, or one 2lb loaf and some rolls. My family isn't sold on it yet, but again, I think it is due to the high altitude factor. When I figure that out, I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment