Monday, March 21, 2011

Vita-Mix

A few years ago, when I was just starting my health journey, I was over at a friend's house soaking up as much of her wisdom as possible. She whips out this blender, fills it up with all kinds of healthy stuff, turns it on and walks away! What is this?! A blender that doesn't get all clogged up? A blender you don't have to babysit, and make sure it doesn't fall off the stand? This blender, a Vita-Mix, instantly made my wish list. I knew it was costly, but really how much could a blender be? Uff da. Quite a bit more than my hubby was willing to part with! So, I learned to be content with my garage sale blenders. The old seventies blenders sell for about $5, and last longer than those I purchased new. I like my smoothies thick!
Fast forward to Fall 2010. I figure out that if I want to feed my family according to Nourishing Traditions, I need to be making things from scratch. It's much cheaper (more on that in a later post)and healthier. So I begin to research grain mills and stumble upon one little sentence on www.thenourishinggourmet.com which basically said a Vita-Mix works great for grinding grain. Hooray! Here's my in! Long story short: everything worked out and I got a Vita-Mix for Christmas!
Smoothies have never been better! They sell a wet container and a dry container. The blades are different. I can grind 4 cups of flour in 1 minute. This machine really is incredible. I debated between trying to grind the wheat in the wet container, but really felt at peace when I got the dry container. It works great, and costs less when you purchase them together. Another bonus: clean-up is a breeze.
Final thoughts: the Vita-Mix rocks. If you can save your money to purchase one, I highly suggest it! If you can get it as a combined gift from everyone you know, even better. :) Go for it! It really makes life a little easier and healthier. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment