Saturday, March 12, 2011

High Altitude Brownies

Today is the first day of Spring Break! We are at the beginning of what I hope will be a glorious two weeks. The first week is promising, full of temps in the 70s. I love it!
Here is a recipe I adapted from www.allrecipes.com. I use the Lance Armstrong My Plate www.livestrong.com/myplate/ to configure my recipes so each serving has only 10 g/sugar or lower. These brownies have about 10 g of sugar if you cut at least 24. I cook them in a round crockery dish from Pampered Chef, because I like it. :) It is 12" in diameter. The recipe calls for an 8x8 pan, but that was just too little for me. I prefer to have slightly larger, thinner brownies. Then, at 10 g of sugar each, I can scarf them down throughout the day, during my "chocolate days", like I did this week! :)
A note on the high altitude... We are at 5000 feet, so when I saw this recipe, I grabbed it. If it doesn't work for you, you can at least look at my version vs. the original (High Altitude Deep Dish Brownies) at allrecipes and see how I changed it. Then you can find one for you and do the same!

High Altitude Brownies

Ingredients
7/8 c sprouted whole wheat flour (1 c - 2 TBSP)
1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
3/4 c butter, melted
1 c Rapadura sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs (we try to use free range or organic)
1/2 c mini chocolate chips
1/2 c peacans (optional)To see how to soak nuts to make them more digestable and make the nutrients more available to your body check out The Nourishing Gourmet.  Check out the tabs at the top of her site, and click on Nourishing Foundations.

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350. Grease your pan.

Cut up butter, and melt over low heat on the stove.
Meanwhile, combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and set aside.
Now, combine melted butter, rapadura and vanilla.
Mix in eggs.
Gradually stir in dry ingredients just until blended. Don't worry if the cocoa powder isn't totally blended.
Fold in chocolate chips and pecans.
Spread the batter evenly in your pan.
Bake in oven for about 20-25 minutes depending on how gooey you like them. :)

We cut these into at least 24 pieces. Then we put 15 aside in snack baggies for lunches. We save the rest for whenever we want them. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment