Thursday, July 17, 2014

Baby Step: Keep the Table Clean!

I have been pondering what is truly important in life.  I am tired of stinking thinking...worrying what I look like, what others think of me, getting overwhelmed by all the little things that need to be done.  I know someone who fighting just to be alive one more day.  She is still preparing to go to work when school begins, and desires to see her first grandchild be born and her youngest son graduate high school.  Life is truly this fragile, but we all to often forget.  With this reminder, my musings now are often about "What is truly important?".
I was recently reminded of a quote that goes something like this, "We are not raising children, but adults."  Which begs the question, what kind of adults are we raising our kids to be?  The habits I help my kids form now, are the habits they will take with them into adulthood.  Therefore, keeping the house clean, and teaching them to be responsible stewards of their belongings is truly important.  Plus, as a bonus, by taking care of things as we go, and not letting them pile up, we should have more time to enjoy life.
I have decided we need a baby step: KEEP THE TABLE CLEAN.  Baby steps are like battles in the war.  My war is against people who don't clean up their messes when they are done.  I am SO tired of seeing dishes in our living room.  Not to mention that tv is not truly important.  Guess what?  We are going to start eating at the table.  What a unique idea.  Our table is over 100 years old.  It stretches out to seat over 12 people, and I love to think of the families that have sat around this table in the past.  I want our family to be a part of that history.
School is starting for us next week, and I have been plagued with a sadness as I realize how little time I have left with my children living at home.  My daughter is entering seventh grade.  I just want to grab her and spend every moment I have with her.  My son is going into fourth grade.  I love the stories and conversations that come about while we are eating together around the table.  I think a question I have been pondering may have just been answered.  Maybe now is not the time to be thinking of opening an ETSY shop.  Maybe now is the time to be focused on my family and what they love to do.  For when they are gone, I will have plenty of time to pursue my dreams.  Hmmm.
Dear Lord,
Please open my eyes to what is truly important, and to Your will.  May I have no regrets.  In Jesus Name I pray--Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment