Monday, January 10, 2011

Soaked Wheat Crackers

OW! My shoulders, back, arms and my core are hurting! The only reason I can think of is the vigorous rolling out of these crackers! My daughter likes them really thin, like wheat thins, so I was really going at it. I think I'll make them more often. Healthy eats and a workout. I like that multi-task!

This recipe is based off of a recipe posted by Kimi at www.thenourishinggourmet.com. She has great information on why you should soak your grains before cooking. Check out her site...it's fabulous!

Soaked Wheat Crackers
THE NIGHT BEFORE:
3 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour (I am happy to say I used freshly ground hard winter wheat! Yeah Vita Mix!)
1/4 cup oil (I use grapeseed)
1 cup water with 2 TBSP vinegar (or buttermilk, yogurt...)

Mix the above together until it just forms a ball. Feel free to use your hands in the end. :) Cover, saran wrap works best, and leave overnight. This breaks down the phytic acid in the wheat and makes it easier to digest.

MORNING/NEXT DAY
Flatten your ball out on the counter. Use white flour if needed to prevent sticking. I had no trouble with this. Sprinkle the following over the top:

2 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp baking powder

Fold in half and knead until salt and baking soda are mixed in. My dough was a bit stiff, but I still had no trouble with this. I just squished and squeezed my way through it. I also broke it into 4 chunks.

Preheat oven to 425.
Flour your rolling surface if necessary.

If you like thin crackers, roll only a chunk at a time. Roll until it is almost see through. This will give you a VERY thin cracker which will not stand up to hummus or other dip. You'll have to play with each chunk to see how thin or thick you like them.
Cut to wheat thin size with a pizza cutter, and prick holes in them with a fork.

Place them on your baking sheet. (greased if necessary)

Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on how thin they are, and how you crunchy you like them.

Let them cool and enjoy! We like to eat them with hummus or cheese. I just eat them plain. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment