Saturday, January 22, 2011

Sprouting beans

As I was getting my beans ready to soak last night, I was wondering why it just didn't feel right. I am new to this whole routine and haven't soaked anything for a few weeks due to us being out of town and me trying to get into a routine of doing this. As I mentioned, I was TIRED, but determined. I had the beans in the jars and just stood there looking at them for a few seconds or so when I remembered that I soak grains this way, not beans! Beans are actually easier.
So, I poured my beans into a big bowl, covered them with filtered water and just left them. This morning I will transfer them to my colander and rinse them. This weekend I will just leave them in the colander, with a towel or plate under them, on my counter. I will rinse them right in the colander morning and evening and stir them around a bit. Leaving them in the colander lets them drain. It's that easy! On Monday morning they should be ready for me to throw into the crock pot, and Monday afternoon we can try out those brownies! :)
In the meantime, things are going well with the new roll recipe. The flour has been soaking and rising overnight and is ready for the final step and rising. I can't wait to have warm rolls with butter and maybe raw honey as well. I have high hopes even though I have not had much luck with the whole wheat thing. God has seemed to open up some time for me on the weekends to try this baking thing out, and I am not ready to give up yet. Someday I hope to be a testimony to those who are NOT bakers. Hopefully I will have a NON-BAKER to BAKER story to tell. That will be the day my husband stops buying bread at the store. Right now, that seems highly unlikely, but I continue on with my hopes high. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment